Livestock and Range Management
Wild Pig Damage in Agricultural Lands in California Survey
Opportunity to Support the US Sheep Shearing Team at the Golden Shears World Championships
Support the American Shearing Team Producers looking to support the American team headed to the Golden Shears World Championships next month in Scotland can do so by purchasing a Team USA T-shirt or hoodie offered through American Hero...
Commercial Ranchers in Mendocino and Lake Reminder
I wanted to make sure you saw the final reminder for the climate-smart ag survey from UC Rangelands below. We want to make sure commercial-scale producers are well-represented in the responses. Please click bit.ly/rangeland23 to take the...
USDA New Grants for Local Meat Processing
USDA Announces Grants to Expand Meat Processing The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced this week the availability of up to $125 million through two new grant programs that will create more options for meat and poultry...
UCCE Week-Long Sheep Shearing School is Back in 2023!!!
After two years of Covid restrictions, I'm happy to say that I'll be doing our very popular week-long shearing school. The dates are March 20th through 24th, 2023. It will be located once again at the Twinning Barn near Ukiah. We will limit the...
New Organic Livestock Rules Proposed
For producers doing organic livestock: USDA/AMS Proposing New Organic Livestock Regulations The United States Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Marketing Service proposes to amend the organic livestock and poultry production...
The Livestock and Natural Resource Management Program focuses on efforts to keep range livestock and the rangeland itself healthy and productive. The program assists landowners through problem-solving research and by providing science based information that promotes good stewardship and sustainability.
UCCE's Livestock and Natural Resources Webpages
Animal ID Workshop Handouts
- An introduction to Electronic Animal ID Systems & Comparison of Technologies
- Animal ID: Confidentiality of Information
- Animal ID: Liability Exposure & Risk Management
- Animal ID: Opportunities for Value-Added Marketing and Production Efficiencies.
- Benefits & Costs Associated with an Animal ID System for Cattle in the U.S.
- Cattle Identification and the National Animal ID System
- Challenges of Animal ID in the West
- Cover & Intro for Animal ID
- Cover Page
- Effects of Animal ID on Cattle Market Structure
- Emerging Management Systems in Animal ID
- ID INFO tech handout.pdf
- Obtaining A Premise ID Number in California
- Potential Benefits of Production Information to Cattle Producers
- Some Issues Related to Beef Traceability: Transforming Cattle into Beef in the U.S.
- The National ID System and Country-of-Origin Labeling: How are They Related?
- The National ID System: Basics, Blueprint, Time lines, and Processes
- Value of Individual Record Keeping to Commercial Livestock Operators
- Working With Animal ID Technology Providers
John Harper is the Livestock & Natural Resources Program Advisor. He can be reached at the Mendocino County UCCE Office - 463-4495. or you can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org