890 N. Bush St
Ukiah, CA 95482
Viticulture & Enology
Christopher Chen is the UCCE Integrated Vineyard Systems Advisor for the North Coast region of California. His work through the North Coast Viticulture program focuses on Climate-Adaptive viticulture practices to help address the concerns related to climate change in vineyards and brings actionable research to the grape growing communities of Northern California. Chris received his doctorate from University of California Davis, focusing on climate centric research in grapevines.
SpecialtyVineyard management and stress tolerance
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Heatwave Damage in Vineyards. Wine Business Monthly.N. Don. 38-43. 07.
- Valenzuela, Francisco; Reineke, Daniela (2022). Plant responses to heterogeneous salinity: agronomic relevance and research priorities. Annals of Botany. Oxford University Press. February 16. https://academic.oup.com/aob/advance-article/doi/10.1093/aob/mcac022/6529474?login=false
- Martínez-Lüscher, J.; Chen, C. C. L. (2020). Mitigating Heat Wave and Exposure Damage to 'Cabernet Sauvignon' Wine Grape with Partial Shading Under Two Irrigation Amounts. Frontiers in Plant Science. 11, 1760.
- Martínez-Lüscher, J.; Chen, C. C. L. (2017). Partial Solar Radiation Exclusion with Color Shade Nets Reduces the Degradation of Organic Acids and Flavonoids of Grape Berry (Vitis vinifera L.). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 65:49, 10693-10702.
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Grapevines an Introduction. Youtube. Feb 18. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am5u7W9ppO4
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Grapevines FAQ. Online. February 22. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxqoFAl8ek&t=4s
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Pruning Grapevines. Online. March 01. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaPva0XsVyU
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Salinity and Grapevines. February 15. https://ucanr.edu/sites/ChenLab/files/363557.pdf
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Selected Plant and Soil Laboratories in Northern and Central California. UC ANR. February. https://ucanr.edu/sites/plant_soil_labs_NCal/
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Vineyard Establishment - UC ANR. February 28. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0LyPXFy2Ss
- Chen, Christopher (2022). Wine Without Water. strategies for farming grapes in California’s drought. UC ANR. January. https://ucanr.edu/sites/ChenLab/files/363556.pdf
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Integrated Grape Production - Member